Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Silencia!!

Gnar: Hey there Silencia!! Thank you for taking the time to do this
interview with us!! Can you tell us about how you got into tattoos?

Silencia: I've pretty much always been into them.  When I was a kid,
I'd always draw my future self with tattoos, wear temporary tattoos,
and draw on myself with pens/markers.  Because I was a kid, my family
didn't think much of it... until I got older.  When I would still draw
on myself as a teen, that's when I started getting the "only gang
members and drug lords get/have tattoos" speech.  The speech was
comical because I knew that if I had the energy, I could tear their
argument apart.  But they're my family.  I love them - even though
they're still very stubborn with their old-fashioned ideals.

Gnar: There are a lot of families that are old school about that it sucks. Hopefully that will get better over time. Do you have any ideas or plans for your next few tattoos yet?

Silencia:  Of course.  I'm getting started on some extensive leg work.
I could share the ideas, but then I'd have to kill you ;)

Gnar: Ah!! lol Totally understandable. :-)  Do you have a favorite tattoo artist or parlor?

Silencia:  Ryan Mason from Scapegoat Tattoo will always be my
favorite.  When I started getting work done by him, his wait was only
two weeks.  Now, to get an appointment with him is CRAZY.  Because
I've been going to him for years and have the honor of calling him a
friend, I get squeezed in okay.

Over the years that I've known Ryan, he's always blown me away by
remembering the little things we'll talk about during our
appointments.  He's kind of gossipy, so it's always cute when he
starts tattooing and asks random questions like, "soooo... how's the
love life?"  Haha.  He's also pegged my tastes.  If I present him with
an idea for a tattoo, but have no image references for him, he's
always managed to come up with the perfect drawing.  An example of
this:  I really wanted a sheep in wolf's clothing, but I could not
find an image of a sheep or wolf that I was happy with (heck, even
"wolf in sheep's clothing" produced shitty search results).  Ryan
finally sketched it out for me, and I literally gasped at how perfect
the drawing was.  I adore that silly, talented man.

Gnar: That's so amazing!! A awesome artist is always worth the wait. Do you have any plans or goals for later in life?

Silencia:  Later in life, I picture myself being a crazy, heavily
tattooed, cat lady whose muu muus are dyed black.  You might think I'm
joking, but I'm not.

Gnar: Haha that's hilarious, but awesome!! :-) What do tattoos mean to you?

Silencia:  People always want to get philosophical when it comes to
tattoo meanings, and it's always fun to see how disappointed some
people get when you explain that you got a tattoo "just because."
Although all of my tattoos have some sort of meaning, or they depict a
passion of mine, it's fucking exhausting to talk about them all of the
time.  A friend of mine (who is also heavily tattooed) and I would
joke about making t-shirts that read "it means courage" just to get
those what-does-your-tattoo-mean askers off our backs.

Gnar: I agree it's bogus! Tattoos are amazing! So they don't always have to have a meaning. Do you regret any tattoos you have?

Silencia:  No.  Tattoos will always mark some sort of memory, and
sometimes, that memory is the only beautiful thing about it.  I've
never picked a tattoo off a wall, or modeled something after what I
saw on someone else.  Even though I'm not the same person I was when I
first started getting tattooed, the tattoos I got when I was 18/19
will always remind me of being 18/19.

Gnar: Agreed! Do you have any shout outs before we wrap this up?

Silencia:  I generally feel that shout-outs are kind of silly, but I
appreciate invitation.  Thanks for the interview, Gnar.  Keep up the
awesome blog!






No comments:

Post a Comment